Segment: JCT with the road to Cape of Good Hope
Stats: JCT road to Cape of Good Hope: 2.6 miles, 1355′ gain; from Cape of Good Hope to JCT road: 2.6 miles, 1355′ loss: round trip: 5.2 miles, 1355′ of gain and loss.
Last Hiked: 2-19-2018
- Millard Canyon to Dawn Mine and Saucer Branch Falls: 6.1 miles, 1,440′ of gain and loss.
- Upper Sunset Ridge, Lower Mt. Lowe Railroad, Echo Mountain, Lower Sam Merrill to Cobb Estate: 6.2 miles, 1362′ gain, 1656′ loss
- Upper Sunset Ridge Trail to Echo Mountain: 7.2 miles, 1612′ of gain and loss
- Millard Canyon to Dawn Mine and Echo Mountain Loop: 9.5 miles, 2,280′ of gain and loss.
- Millard Canyon to Bear Canyon Campground: 10.8 miles, 3,100′ of gain and loss.
- Upper Sunset Ridge Trail to Muir Peak: 12.9 miles, 2760′ of gain and loss.
- Upper Sunset Ridge Trail to Mt. Lowe: 15.2 miles, 3508′ of gain and loss.
View at JCT with road as seen from Lower Sunset Ridge Trail
View down toward T1 Parking at gate (see map)
View up in the direction leading to the JCT with the Upper Sunset Ridge Trail
Take the road up until you see the JCT with the Upper Sunset Ridge Trail shown below. It will be on the left side of the road. Note: the road also leads to the Cape of Good Hope and connects with the Upper Sunset Ridge trail in a few spots.
Follow the trail and at the fork in the road continue going up on the right (down leads to Millard Falls which is closed at this time)
Sierra Saddle picnic area (shown below) is along the way about 1.5 miles from the JCT
View of trailhead (just left of the tree) at the Cape of Good Hope
More photos here