Trailhead: Millard Canyon Trailhead, parking area T1
Note: Trailhead starts at the gate
Trail: Upper Sunset Ridge Trail from the gate up to Cape of Good Hope, down to Echo Mountain via the Lower Mt. Lowe Railway Trail, down to the Cobb Estate. Note: shuttle is required between trailheads.
Stats: From Millard Canyon Trailhead to Echo Mountain to Cobb Estate Trailhead: 6.2 miles, 1362′ gain, 1656′ loss.
Alternate: From Cobb Estate Trailhead to Echo Mountain to Millard Canyon Trailhead: 6.2 miles, 1656′ gain, 1362′ loss.
Last Hiked: 4-1-12
Trail Segments: From the gate, take the Upper Sunset Ridge Trail to the Cape of Good Hope. From the Cape of Good Hope, go down the road a short distance to the JCT with the Lower Mt. Lowe Railway Trail and take that down toward Echo Mountain. At the JCT with the Lower Sam Merrill Trail, continue straight to the White City Ruins at Echo Mountain. Take the Lower Sam Merrill Trail to the Cobb Estate.
Points of Interest:
- Lower Mt. Lowe Railway ruins (see Lower Mt. Lowe Railway Trail below)
- White City ruins at Echo Mountain.
1) Nice loop, I especially enjoy the Lower Mt. Lowe Railway Trail part of it.
2) If you don’t have a shuttle you can walk another 2 miles on Chaney Trail and Loma Alta Drive to get back to your starting point.
3) The (paved) Mt. Lowe Road is an alternative to the Sunset Ridge Trail. I like to do the loop counterclockwise in the evening so that I walk down the Mt. Lowe Road after dark. The city lights are really great.
Hiking down the paved road at night to form a loop is a good idea. I might do that sometime.