Segment: From the junction at Echo Mountain to the junction at Mt. Lowe Road.
Stats: From Echo Mountain to Mt. Lowe Road: 2.7 miles, 1280′ gain. From Mt. Lowe Road to Echo Mountain: 2.7 miles, 1280′ loss. Round Trip: 5.4 miles, 1280′ of gain and loss.
Last Hiked: 3-1-13
- Sam Merrill Trail to Inspiration Point: 11.2 miles, 2709′ of gain and loss.
- Muir Peak from Cobb Estate: 11.6 miles, 2947′ of gain and loss.
- Sam Merrill Trail to Mt. Lowe: 13.8 miles, 3802′ of gain and loss.
- Mt. Lowe Railway Trails to Mt. Lowe: 15.5 miles, 3802′ of gain and loss.
- Cobb Estate to Tom Sloan Saddle: 16 miles, 3969′ of gain and loss.
- Cobb Estate to Bear Canyon Campground: 19 miles, 4619′ of gain and loss.
The Middle Sam Merrill Trail connects Echo Mountain to Mt. Lowe Road. The trailhead from Echo Mountain is next to the trailhead for the Castle Canyon Trail, so read the trail marker to verify.
A little less than halfway up the trail from Echo Mountain you will notice a “waypoint”. The Inspiration Peak Trail junction is found 180 degrees in the direction looking behind the view below. I believe the trail in the picture below leads down to the old railway bed, but I haven’t verified that yet.
In this view, the Inspiration Peak Trail junction (straight ahead in this view) leading up to Inspiration Point. The Sam Merrill Trail also goes up to Mt. Lowe Road and Inspiration Point by following the trail up on the left. The Sam Merrill Trail continues down to Echo Mountain by following the trail down on the right.
View of the trailhead at Mt. Lowe Road where 5 trails meet.