Inspiration Point is a good destination to use as a halfway point for a hike. It has picnic tables under a roof structure, shade, a great view, and is a hub that many trails connect to. This makes it possible to create loops so that at least part of your hike isn’t simply a return along the same trail that go you to Inspiration Point. There is also signage telling some of the history of the area and a remnant of the old one man and mule railway.
(Click on image to see larger size)
- Cobb Estate to Echo Mountain to Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon: 9.2 miles, 2709′ of gain and loss
- Sam Merrill Trail to Inspiration Point: 11.2 miles, 2709′ of gain and loss.
- Muir Peak from Cobb Estate: 11.6 miles, 2947′ of gain and loss.
- Sam Merrill Trail, Castle Canyon Trail, East Mt. Lowe Trails to Mt. Lowe: 12.8 miles, 3862′ of gain and loss.
- Cobb Estate to Tom Sloan Saddle: 16 miles, 3969′ of gain and loss.
- Cobb Estate to Bear Canyon Campground: 19 miles, 4619′ of gain and loss.